Just getting a small business up and running means long hours and extended work weeks. But when legal issues loom, an owner may find he's out of time, energy and ideas. The articles in this section are designed to provide the answers to dozens of questions - from how to find the right attorney, to the legalities of business structure, employment regulation and asset protection.
- How to Find the Right Attorney - Hiring a skilled and experienced attorney can be critical to the long-term health and success of your business. Here's how.
- How a Lawyer Can Protect and Assist Your Business - Don't wait until you need an attorney; be proactive and learn about how an attorney can make all the difference.
- Understanding Legal Fees - The key to keeping your costs down while still getting great legal advice is to understand how fees are calculated and how you are billed.
Setting Up a Business
- How to Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business - Make an informed decision about the type of corporate structure that is right for your business.
- Setting up an E-Commerce Site: Basic Considerations - Selling products online opens your business up to a world of potential customers - but it can also create a number of legal and tax issues.
Employment Law, Discrimination, and Dispute Resolution
- Understanding Employment Laws - If your company has employees, you need to understand and comply with federal and state employment laws to minimize the chance of a lawsuit being filed against you.
- Avoid Discrimination and Encourage Diversity - Employees are protected from discrimination by a number of laws.
- Avoid / Minimize the Effects of Employee Litigation - Learn how to treat employees fairly, avoid lawsuits, and minimize the effects if a lawsuit is filed.
- Effective Alternatives to Litigation - Learn how to settle some disputes more quickly and at a lower cost through mediation and arbitration.
- Understanding Contracts - Learn what constitutes a contract and an overview of the most common types of contracts.
- Ensure Your Contracts Protect You From Liability and Loss - A written contract or agreement leaves less potential for misinterpretation.
- Employment Agreements - Employment agreements memorialize the terms of employment, protect you from competition by former employees and protect your confidential information.
- Copyrights, Trademarks, and Patents - Learn about the various ways you can legally protect your intellectual property.
- How to Register Trademarks and Copyrights - The process of registering a Trademark or Copyright can be done by an attorney or even on your own.
- Website Policies - Learn how to protect your text, photos, images, and other web-based creative content.
- Avoid Antitrust Violations - Even small businesses can inadvertently violate antitrust laws; learn how to protect yourself and your company.
- Small Business Insurance - A small business can be easily crippled by one claim. Maintaining the right insurance coverage is absolutely critical.